Your monthly assured shorthold tenancy


Your tenancy agreement

Your tenancy agreement is a very important document as it sets out, in legal terms, the rights and responsibilities that we have as your landlord and you have as our tenant.

Your tenancy is a Monthly Assured Shorthold Tenancy. It gives you certainty of a minimum of six months from the start of your tenancy, provided that you do not break any of the terms of your tenancy agreement.

Your deposit

Your deposit, usually one month’s rent, will be held by the ‘Deposit Protection Service’ (DPS) We will ensure your deposit is transferred to the DPS who will send you an information pack once this has taken place. You should keep this information in a safe place so that you can claim your deposit back from the DPS when you tenancy has ended.

Your deposit is repayable at the end of your tenancy as long as you have no rent arrears and the property is in the same condition as it was originally let to you. Any rent arrears and works required to the property to bring up to letting standard will be deducted from your deposit. If these costs are higher than the deposit you paid you will be invoiced for the outstanding amount. If the costs are only for part of your deposit you will receive a refund for the remaining amount.

Our responsibilities

Your tenancy agreement places a number of responsibilities on us and some of them are summarised as follows:

Living in your home

We will not interfere with your right to live in your home as long as you keep to the terms of your tenancy agreement.


We will keep your home and its fixtures and fittings in a good state of repair.

Ending your tenancy

We can end your tenancy in one of three ways:

  1. if you want to give notice, a two month notice period is required
  2. we have served two months notice requiring possession of the property, such notice is not to expire within the first six months of your tenancy; or
  3. by court order, which we will get from a county court if we want to end your tenancy because you have not kept to one or more of the terms of your tenancy agreement.

Condition of your home

It is your responsibility to keep the property clean and tidy and you must not block or obstruct any parts of the building that are used by other residents, as this could cause a fire hazard.

You must not store personal belongings in any shared areas near to the property, for example the garden, or leave any rubbish there or on the estate. Any items stored in shared/ communal areas will be disposed of. We will recharge you if we have to remove any of your personal belongings.

It is essential that you report any repairs to us quickly so that we can deal with them before they become any worse or cause other problems, either for you or other residents. You can report a repair by calling our Technical Services Advisors on 0300 500 6262.


It is your responsibility to insure the contents of your home. We will not accept any responsibility or liability for your possessions.

You will need to take out your own ‘Contents Insurance’ to cover the value of your possessions.


You are allowed to decorate your property. Any decoration should be done to a good standard and should be finished correctly.

Before your tenancy ends we will carry out an inspection and we may ask you to redecorate in a neutral colour if we do not feel that the decoration you have done would make the property easy to re-let.

Wall fixings

You can fix items to the walls but you must remove and make good the walls before you move out.

Passing on your tenancy

You cannot assign or transfer your tenancy to anyone else.

Right to Acquire/Right to Buy

You do not have the Right to Acquire or Buy this property.


Your tenancy agreement will say how many people are allowed to live in your home. You must let us know the name, age and sex of any lodger before they move in.

Subletting your home

Subletting is when you give someone a legal tenancy or allow them to have control over a particular part of your home.

We will not allow you to sublet your property or any part of the property under any circumstances.

Running a business from your home

You need our permission in writing to run any kind of business from your home. We will not give our permission if we think that your business is likely to:

  • cause a nuisance to neighbours
  • lead to traffic problems; or
  • involve using or storing dangerous materials.

If you need advice about this, you should contact Customer Services on 0300 500 6262 or email

Joint tenancies

A joint tenant is equally responsible for keeping to the terms of the tenancy agreement, such as paying rent and not causing a nuisance.

If there is a disagreement or relationship breakdown between joint tenants, one of you cannot stop the other one from entering the home unless you get a court order. In cases where domestic abuse is involved, one partner can ask the county court to order the other tenant not to enter the home for a temporary period until a more permanent arrangement can be made. You should contact us and a solicitor for advice about this sort of problem.

Our access to your home

If you need repairs to be done or we need to inspect your home you must let our employees, representatives and contractors into your home. We must give you reasonable notice of this. In an emergency, such as a water or gas leak, we may have to get into your home immediately without giving you notice.

What happens if you don’t keep to the conditions of your tenancy?

Antisocial behaviour and non-payment of rent are the most common tenancy rules that are broken and could result in us taking action to remove you from the property.

We will work with you to find ways to resolve the situation; if this does not work, we could do one of the following:

  • serve you with a two months ‘Notice requiring Possession’
  • seek an immediate eviction (in very serious cases).

Can I appeal the decision?

Yes, you can. You will have 14 days to appeal from the date the Notice was issued.

For more information, please contact Customer Services on 0300 500 6262. You can also get information from a solicitor, Citizens Advice Bureau or law centre.

Ending your tenancy

You must give us two months notice in writing if you want to end your tenancy. You are still responsible for paying the rent until the end of your notice period.

To end your tenancy you should email or send a letter to the following address:

Catalyst Homes
Catalyst Housing Limited
6 Houghton Hall Business Park
Porz Avenue
Houghton Regis

When we receive your written notice we will contact you to carry out a pre void inspection before your tenancy ends. It is important that you make yourself available for this appointment as we will inspect the property and advise you what is required to bring the property up to standard to ensure that you are not charged for any work that may be required.

Please ensure that you complete all the forms sent out to you before the tenancy has ended.

Once the tenancy is ended we will carry out a void inspection to ensure that property is as originally let to you. We will also check your rent account.

If all is in order we will contact the DPS and release your deposit. The DPS will then contact you directly. It is important that you leave us with a forwarding address.

To avoid losing your deposit you must:

  • ensure your rent is paid up until the last day of your tenancy; any arrears will be deducted from your deposit
  • remove all items of furniture, personal belongings, food and rubbish from the property; the cost of any removals will be deducted from your deposit
  • remove any fixings to the walls and make good any holes in the walls; the cost of us making good the walls will be deducted from your deposit
  • clean the property thoroughly throughout including carpets, marks on walls, windows and any white goods such as oven and hob; the cost of cleaning any items will deducted from your deposit
  • return all keys, fobs and parking permits. All keys must be returned on the day your tenancy ends; if all keys are not returned we will carry out lock changes and the cost will be deducted from your deposit.

If your deposit does not cover the cost of any works or arrears we will recharge you for any outstanding amount.

Rent references

We will supply rent references but there is a charge for this.

Further information on our services can be found on our website.