Service updates

The health and wellbeing of our customers is our top priority. The below frequently asked questions explain how we’re responding to the outbreak to help keep you, our colleagues and contractors safe, while maintaining vital services.



What is an essential and non-essential visit?

Non-essential visits

We’ve temporarily stopped all non-essential face-to face contact between colleagues and customers. This includes home visits, non-emergency repairs, community centre drop-ins and visiting our offices. If you need to visit our offices, please contact us for an appointment.

If your home is in London, please call 0300 456 2099 or you can email us on and if your home is in the Home Counties please call 0300 500 6262 or email

Emergency repairs

We’re still carrying out emergency repairs while keeping you, members of your household and our colleagues safe. Find out more here

If we do need to come into your home and there’s a higher risk of infection, our colleagues will wear protective clothing.

Our teams are adhering to social distancing and hygiene measures to keep you, members of your household and each other safe.

Will your housing and support teams still visit me?

We’ll only be visiting customers where we can’t provide the service in another way, such as over the phone or by email.

Examples of the types of visit we’ll still do are providing one-to-one support and care, and carrying out essential checks and repairs.

Our teams are adhering to social distancing and hygiene measures to keep you, members of your household and each other safe.

If we do need to come into your home, and you’ve let us know there’s a higher risk of infection as you’re self-isolating, our colleagues will wear protective clothing.

What happens if social distancing is not followed during essential repairs and home visits?

It’s very important for the health and safety of our customers, colleagues and contractors that the social distancing two metre rule is followed.

If the social distancing guidance isn’t followed – by you or anyone else in your home – during an essential visit, our colleagues and contractors will give you a polite reminder and ask you to keep a safe distance.

If this reminder is ignored for a second time, they will advise you that they are stopping work and will leave your property immediately.


I’m due to sign up for a new property with Catalyst. Will this still go ahead?

No – not at the moment.

We’ve taken the difficult but necessary decision to put sign-ups on hold for now.
Social distancing measures and reducing non-essential face-to-face contact means it’s extremely difficult for us to provide you with the service you need from us during sign-up. Services such as removal companies are also rightly adhering to government advice.

Please check the website regularly for updates on this, or speak with a member of our Lettings team.

Can I still view a property?

No – not at the moment.

To keep everybody safe, we’re not carrying out any viewings in person until further notice.

We are, however, looking into other ways you could view a property without being there in person. We’ll keep you updated.

Please check the website regularly for updates on this, or speak with a member of our Lettings team.

Can I still end my tenancy?


You’ll need to give us the notice period stated in your Tenancy Agreement.

Before you do this, please make sure that you’ll be able to move into your next home. Many landlords have put a hold on people signing up to a new property for safety reasons.

If you need help and your home is in London, please call 0300 456 2099 or you can email us on and if your home is in the Home Counties please call 0300 500 6262 or email

Can I still progress my mutual exchange application?

No – not at the moment.

To keep everyone safe, we’ve put all mutual exchange requests on hold.

Please check the website regularly for updates on this.


What is considered anti-social behaviour (ASB)?

Anti-social behaviour includes a wide range of behaviour that causes nuisance or annoyance to our customers, their families, our employees and others living or working in the community. It is also behaviour that causes, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress, or using or threatening to use housing for an unlawful purpose. Find out more about ASB.

I’m struggling with a noisy neighbour, what can I do?

We work in partnership with all our local authority partners to change the behaviour of those people who repeatedly make unreasonable noise that impacts on their neighbour’s enjoyment of their homes. There are of course some acceptable day to day noises due to people living in close proximity which the local authority won’t investigate. In these instances, it may require more understanding and patience rather than formal action.

If possible and where you’re able to maintain social distancing, speak with your neighbour to discuss any noise issues.

What is considered unreasonable behaviour?

We all have different levels of tolerance when it comes to noise. Unreasonable noise includes loud music, late-night DIY or parties that disrupt the enjoyment of your home. There are some noises that are unavoidable such as footsteps or noise from white goods – please be mindful when at home or in your neighbourhood.

I’m seeing groups of people gathered in my neighbourhood and breaking the social distancing rule, what should I do?

In order to stop the spread of the virus and to keep everyone safe, the government has enforced a two metre distance between people. If you see somebody in your neighbourhood breaking this rule, you can call the police on the non-urgent number of 101.

What do Catalyst do about ASB?

We have lots of things in place to keep you and your community safe. You can read more about what we’re doing during the coronavirus as well as our approach to tackling ASB.

What is mediation?

Mediation is an effective way of resolving disputes with neighbours without the need to go to court. It’s a discussion between the parties involved and an impartial person who acts as a mediator. Our free and impartial mediation service can help you with things like neighbour disputes and also advice on how to cope under the current movement restrictions.

You can find out more by calling our team on 0300 500 6262  or email

I’m worried about my children making noise and disrupting my neighbours, what should I do?

We’re aware of the challenges parents and guardians have with children at home. Where possible, use outdoor spaces for rest and play and be mindful of your neighbours and noise.

If you’re a neighbour experiencing more noise due to children at home or outside, please understand that this is a difficult time for everyone, and children may become restless when forced to stay indoors. We encourage neighbours to speak to one another whilst respecting social distancing before noise becomes an issue.

I am experiencing domestic abuse and worried about being at home, what can I do?

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, we want to let you know that we’re here to support you.

At a time when we’re required to stay indoors and self-isolate, we understand that for some of our customers this is the last place that they feel safe. If you do find yourself in an urgent or emergency situation where violence is being used or threatened, first get yourself to a safe location and, when safe to do so, call the police.
Once you’ve reported to the police, you can contact us on 0300 500 6262 or email to speak to us. We have trained colleagues who can provide advice and assistance at this difficult time.

You can also contact National Domestic Abuse Helpline on Freephone 0808 2000 247.

If I experience any anti-social behaviour where I live, can you still help?

Yes. We’ll continue to look into any reports of anti-social behaviour, however, we may not be able to visit in the usual way.

Please contact your Housing Officer/Neighbourhood Experience Manager if have any concerns about anti-social behaviour.

Service updates further information

If you have read all our FAQs and you haven’t found the answer to your question, please contact us or call 0300 500 6262.

Last updated: 1 April 2020