Physical disability adaptations

Aids and adaptations to your home

As your needs change over time, it may be that your home needs to change to enable you to continue to live there. This information explains how to apply for aids and adaptations to be made in your home and the process we need to go through before we can make those aids and adaptations.

Where do I start?

The responsibility for assessing the need for aids and adaptations lies with the Occupational Health Service. We can only carry out aids and adaptations works on the recommendation of your Occupational Therapist. To arrange for an assessment of your care needs by an Occupational Therapist, please contact your local authority’s social services department.

Your doctor or social worker should also be able to provide you with some information on how to do this, but if you have any difficulties, please contact Customer Services on 0300 500 6262.

Minor aids and adaptations

These can normally be carried out within one month from the date the Occupational Therapist’s recommendation is received.

Typical minor aids and adaptations include:

  • hand or grab rails
  • lever taps
  • key safes
  • extra banister rails.

We will normally carry out these works.

Major aids and adaptations

These will take longer and time scales will vary depending on the level of work required. You will also need to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant and you will need to contact the Local Authority in the area where you live to apply for the grant.

Typical major aids and adaptations include:

  • stair lifts
  • shower conversions
  • door widening
  • ramps.

Your grant application will need to be supported by an Occupational Therapist’s assessment.

In some instances making adaptations may not be possible and it may be more appropriate to seek alternative solutions. This could include considering a different type of adaptation, or a move to more suitable accommodation. A transfer can only be considered, however, if suitable alternative accommodation is available and the transfer would also need to take place in line with our existing lettings policy.

Please note: If your home is managed by us for another landlord or you are a leaseholder or shared owner, this information may not apply to you. Please contact Customer Services on 0300 500 6262 for more information.