Reporting antisocial behaviour and hate crime


We believe that all of our customers and their families have the right to live peacefully in their homes and we take reports of antisocial behaviour and hate crime very seriously.

Antisocial behaviour

We work with many other groups to help residents make their communities safer. These groups usually involve the police, local councils, schools, health services, drug action teams, the fire service, social services and the probation service. Wherever possible, we will work with local communities to get their views, set up meetings and give advice on how to solve local issues.

Since the 20 October 2014, Police, councils and housing associations across Bedfordshire can take advantage of new powers which have been made possible following the Government’s new Antisocial Behaviour Crime and Police Act 2014.

New ‘Community Protection Notices’ allow police, local authorities and housing associations to tackle environmentally antisocial behaviour such as noise or fly-tipping and issue fixed penalty tickets to those who breach them.

Local authorities will be able to impose new Public Space Protection Orders to prohibit certain kinds of behaviour, such as drinking and nuisance gatherings, within defined areas. Police and PCSOs will then be able to issue tickets to anyone who breaches them.

Another tool is the ‘Community Remedy’ document. It gives victims the chance to work with police and PCSOs and have a say on what low-level offenders should do instead of being taken to court. They will be able to choose from a list of pre-defined “actions”.

Under the legislation any victim who is unhappy with the response to an on-going problem by police and partners can apply to pull a new 'community trigger'. The trigger requires partners to meet, review their response and consider what more can be done. 

If you want to apply for a community trigger, please visit the relevant area from the list below:

If you make a complaint about nuisance or antisocial behaviour, we will keep you informed of progress throughout the process.

Report Antisocial Behaviour

We have listed the number of ways you can report antisocial behaviour below.

  • Contact the Police: Call the police (if the incident involves a crime)
  • Email us:
  • Phone us:
    Direct on 0300 500 6262 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
    0800 075 6699 (outside normal office hours only, please note this number is not staffed during normal working hours and so will not be responded to at this time. Please call the main customer service number (0300 500 6262) who can help with your query between 9am to 5pm)
  • Write to us:  6 Houghton Hall Business Park, Porz Avenue, Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire, LU5 5UZ

Hate crime

A Hate Incident is any event which is perceived by the victim, or any other person, as being motivated by prejudice towards a person’s:

  • race
  • sexuality
  • transgender

or due to a person's:

  • religion, belief
  • gender identity
  • disability.

When an event motivated by any of these things becomes a criminal offence, such as assault, damage to property or other crimes, it becomes a Hate Crime. Hate Crimes or Incidents are dealt with very seriously by us and the Police. It is important that you report Hate Crime or Hate Incidents even if they do not directly affect you as the impact on the victim can be devastating.

We are working in partnership with Hertfordshire Constabulary and Hertfordshire County Council as the first Housing Association that you can report Hate Crime or Hate Incidents directly to.

So, if you would rather not speak directly to the Police you can call us. We will pass the details on to the Police on your behalf and we will not pass on your personal details if you wish to remain anonymous.

You can call and report Hate Crime to Customer Services on 0300 500 6262 and then choose option 3. You can find out more about Hate Crime by visiting the True Vision website


Advice and support agencies


List of advice and support agencies (click on the name of the agency to open their website). Please note calls to some of the numbers below will be charged at a higher rate so check with your phone service provider and relevant organisation for exact costs.



Contact number

Age UK Provide advice for older people 0800 169 6565
Citizens Advice Provide online help from the Citizens Advice which provides advice across a broad range of subjects including benefits, employment, debt, health, education and housing. 0844 411 1444
StepChange debt charity Provide debt advice 0800 138 1111
The Energy Savings Trust a non-profit organisation that provides free impartial advice that can help you save money and fight climate change by reducing carbon dioxide emissions from your home 0300 123 1234
My Home Energy Switch Designed to help you save money on your energy bills and also offers the chance for you to choose suppliers that provide energy from renewable sources if desired. 0808 178 3492
Homeswapper A service for local authority and housing association tenants to search for mutual exchanges. Click here to read our Mutual Exchange publication.  
The Money Advice Service Advice from the UK’s Consumer Financial Education Body. 0300 500 5000
National Debtline The helpline that provides free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems 0808 808 4000
Shelter  Provide advice and support for homeless people 0808 800 4444
Turn 2 Us Advice on benefits and grants 0808 802 2000
TV Licence For information or to buy your TV licence.  
Counselling Directory Provides a network be connected with a professional
counsellor or psychotherapist.
0844 8030 240
Health and Safety Executive - Asbestos Provides details on Asbestos Health and Safety  
NHS Stop Smoking NHS help to stop smoking